of emotional maturity.
It is through compassion that a person achieves
the highest peak and deepest reach in his or her search for self-fulfillment.
The typical person might first, make the assumption that they had done something that upset the clerk and then secondly, take that personally and think something like she did not like them. They might think they had done something to anger her.... or for some reason, she decided to be mean to them. Following Agreement #3.... we are told not to make these type of assumptions and then following Agreement #2.... we are told to not take any of it personally. How can that be possible you say... it is directed at me... how can it not be personal?! Would you be rude back? Would you grab the receipt without a thank you? Would you stomp off without any niceties?
- Do other things with family, such as caroling, baking, watching It’s a Wonderful Life, playing football outside.
- Volunteer as a family at a homeless shelter.
- Ask people to donate to your favorite charity in lieu of gifts.
- Make meaningful gifts.
- Do a gift swap where you put a valued possession (that you already own) into the swap.
- Bake gifts.
- Have an experience instead of giving material goods: do something fun together, go to the beach or a lake.