|Sunrise, Biscayne Bay, Miami, October, 1999|
Have you ever read a page of a book, magazine (or even a blog post!).... and at the bottom have to go back and re-read because your mind went somewhere else mid-way through?
- Look your child in the eye and notice the color of their eyes.
- On the drive to work, watch the sunrise! (I did back in October of 1999 in the photo above and it has become the photo representing this blog!)
- Notice the color of sky or shape of clouds when you are outside.
- Feel the sensation of the soap bubbles when you are washing the dishes.
- Fold clothing the way my friend does, like you have nothing else to do,
- Feel the chair under you at this very moment or if you are standing feel what is under your feet.
- Smell and taste may not be as accessible depending where you are, but use these fully when you can. According to Thich Nhat Hanh in his book Savor, most of us have denied ourselves the many delights present in the simple act of eating an apple... or anything else we may be eating!
- Listen for sounds around you - I can hear crickets right now and the fan on my computer.
Until next month,
Keep it simple!