Welcome to the launch of my monthly blog, Simply Spirituality.
Several of my friends and family have indicated an interest in my spiritual endeavors or asked me questions about it over the years. I am writing this to answer those questions, and also to share ideas about what I have learned. There is also a section for comments at the end of the blog, if you would like to discuss any of the topics presented. If this information is not new to you, maybe there are other people around you, also, that have questions or may benefit from such information. If you would like to forward this on, please feel free to do so. Also, please let me know if you prefer to be added to my e-mail notification list.
People tell me one or both of two things, when it comes to spirituality. First, either they simply do not understand what spirituality is or secondly, that they do not have time to do anything else in their busy lives.
My intention is to provide very simple, concise ways to have a basic understanding of what spirituality means to me, as well as ways to easily apply it in your own life, if you should choose to do so. This in no way is saying these are things that I think you "should" do. They are simply things that I have found to be of use in my life. If something resonates with you, try it in your own life. This blog will provide some very simple examples of things you can do today...right NOW if you choose.
I have a second intention in writing this blog. That is for my two boys to have this as as a reference as as they get older.
- Spirituality is one of those words that has a certain dictionary meaning, but also carries with it personal meaning for each individual.
- Spirituality is NOT a religion...nor does not contradict religion....or even atheism for that matter. There are both atheists who read this and those of deep faith in various religions. If you choose to interpret the things I write in terms of a specific religion, that is fine...but it is not necessary.
- The English word "spirit" comes from the Latin "spiritus" which means breath!
- Spirituality has to do with the search for answers to questions about.. Why am I here? Who am I? Where is true meaning?
- Spirituality is about awareness and mindfulness.
- Within that awareness, it is about choosing behaviors, rather than reacting out of habitual patterns and.......... becoming more of who you truly are.
- To me personally, it is about living the best life I can ....but NOT about doing that with perfection.
Here's hoping you keep your spirituality simple!
Picture of the month:
Sunrise over Biscayne Bay, Miami, FL October, 1999